One Project Down. A Few More To Go!

11 Jan

Hello again! ^___^

It has certainly been a while since I last posted. Hope everyone has had a good break and New Year’s ^^

Once again it has been a busy time for me, with hand-ins coming up and plenty of work to do/done. That is why this blog looks a bit abandoned for nearly a month.

During the past 6 weeks and winter break I had to make a 32-page book based on the sabbatical I done for the Concept Development module. All the info and work of the sabbatical I done is found on here, my other blog that was created for the module.

The images in the book can only come from the research and any work produced within that brief with any text only kept to a minimum without telling a story, and 10% use of only secondary images, so most would have to be first-hand. As well as this, all the images had to be printed in some form of printing process with the book allowed to take any form, binding and size.

The printing processes I used were:

  • Linoleum printing
  • Disperse dye heat transfer printing: disperse dyes mixed with water and then brushed onto a paper. Left to dry, you can then have a stencil, place it on fabric or a piece of paper, place the paper with the dye mixture on top and on the back of it iron it on which should transfer the colour through, creating a coloured image. An easier way of explaining would be showing these photos:
webP021212_21

Ironing the disperse dye through the stencil. Make sure to use a good cloth or newsprint to protect surface/iron from getting any colour on them!

webP021212_22

The printed images with the stencils on top.

  • Digital print
  • Photocopy print
  • Stencil/Stamp print

From each week of processing the images, there was something different we had to do:

Week 1: Produce 10 images

Week 2: Use Oblique Strategies to create the next 10 images

Week 3: Use the 20 print-ready images to create the last 12 images and plan out/re-arrange the images in an unplanned order.

The binding I did for my book was a concertina/accordion binding as I wanted the images to follow throughout to tell a story without it being too simple. The original order I planned out was to predictable (one side featuring only ‘trapped’ and the other side featuring ‘freedom’, so this was more so placing the images together with subtle hints of ‘shock values’ as to seeing first happiness then sadness etc.

And this is the book:

webDSCF3527

The front/back covers: made from mount board, with the image at the front stamped using linoleum and felt pen.

 

webDSCF3530

Top view of the inside and how it folds in/out.

webPanoramic_book

A panoramic image of the inside pages of the book. Click for a larger scaled version of this. All of the images are the originals.

 

If you wish to take a look at the printed images more closely, you can find them here.

There has been a few more projects from the other modules, which I’ll post once done : )

Advertisements

2 Responses to “One Project Down. A Few More To Go!”

  1. Mark Armstrong January 22, 2013 at 19:03 #

    My dear young Bean!– this is most impressive!! What a complex multi-faceted project!

    I’d never heard of linoleum printing. Many thanks for including photos– woulda been tough to visualize without ’em. (The sight of that iron brought back memories of “iron-on” patches when I was a kid. Back then, I needed patches to be cool. Nowadays, of course, I just act naturally…) : P

    The accordion binding seems a work of art in itself– beautifully done. Sounds like an inspired choice for the project. (Loved the paw print on the front– nice touch!)

    I looked at all the images in your Concept Development blog. Very impressive to see all the concepts, and the different means you used to execute them– great mix, lots of visual interest. (I laughed when I read, “Honour thy error as a hidden intention”– amen!! That ought to be every artist’s creed!!)

    A lot of work for you, requiring much patience and resolve– well done! : )

    • Sabine January 22, 2013 at 23:09 #

      I remember iron-on patches! Used to always get my mum to smother my t-shirts with them!

      Happy to know I have introduced you to the likes of linoleum/lino printing. It is an incredibly messy job, but it really is fun to do. And the effects you can get with them and different colour possibilities is great experimentation. I would definitely recommend trying it out if you ever get the chance. I didn’t realise how much I missed doing it (the last time I done this type of printing was in my college year before university).

      Thank you for the kind comments ^^ It was my first time making an accordion binding, and book binding for that matter! So I was really chuffed that it came out so well on my first go ^___^ That’s what you get for good calculating and measuring things up right : )

      Haha yes it should certainly be a part of every artists’ work principles. I seemed to have fallen into that a few times with my work as of late, which will be put up soon : p

      Thank you again for your tremendous support! : )

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: