Archive | Book Binding RSS feed for this section

One Project Down. A Few More To Go!

11 Jan

Hello again! ^___^

It has certainly been a while since I last posted. Hope everyone has had a good break and New Year’s ^^

Once again it has been a busy time for me, with hand-ins coming up and plenty of work to do/done. That is why this blog looks a bit abandoned for nearly a month.

During the past 6 weeks and winter break I had to make a 32-page book based on the sabbatical I done for the Concept Development module. All the info and work of the sabbatical I done is found on here, my other blog that was created for the module.

The images in the book can only come from the research and any work produced within that brief with any text only kept to a minimum without telling a story, and 10% use of only secondary images, so most would have to be first-hand. As well as this, all the images had to be printed in some form of printing process with the book allowed to take any form, binding and size.

The printing processes I used were:

  • Linoleum printing
  • Disperse dye heat transfer printing: disperse dyes mixed with water and then brushed onto a paper. Left to dry, you can then have a stencil, place it on fabric or a piece of paper, place the paper with the dye mixture on top and on the back of it iron it on which should transfer the colour through, creating a coloured image. An easier way of explaining would be showing these photos:
webP021212_21

Ironing the disperse dye through the stencil. Make sure to use a good cloth or newsprint to protect surface/iron from getting any colour on them!

webP021212_22

The printed images with the stencils on top.

  • Digital print
  • Photocopy print
  • Stencil/Stamp print

From each week of processing the images, there was something different we had to do:

Week 1: Produce 10 images

Week 2: Use Oblique Strategies to create the next 10 images

Week 3: Use the 20 print-ready images to create the last 12 images and plan out/re-arrange the images in an unplanned order.

The binding I did for my book was a concertina/accordion binding as I wanted the images to follow throughout to tell a story without it being too simple. The original order I planned out was to predictable (one side featuring only ‘trapped’ and the other side featuring ‘freedom’, so this was more so placing the images together with subtle hints of ‘shock values’ as to seeing first happiness then sadness etc.

And this is the book:

webDSCF3527

The front/back covers: made from mount board, with the image at the front stamped using linoleum and felt pen.

 

webDSCF3530

Top view of the inside and how it folds in/out.

webPanoramic_book

A panoramic image of the inside pages of the book. Click for a larger scaled version of this. All of the images are the originals.

 

If you wish to take a look at the printed images more closely, you can find them here.

There has been a few more projects from the other modules, which I’ll post once done : )